The Nurse Advocate
Monday, June 28, 2010
Nursing Board Exam Review Questions on Pharmacology, Nursing Research and Nutrition
1. Chemotherapeutic agents often produce a certain degree of myelosuppression including leukopenia. Leukopenia does not present immediately but is delayed several days to weeks because:
a. The patient’s hemoglobin and hematocrit are normal.
b. Red blood cells are affected first.
c. Folic acid levels are normal.
d. The current white cell count is not affected by chemotherapy.
2. Chemotherapy induces vomiting by:
a. Stimulating neuroreceptors in the medulla.
b. Inhibiting the release of catecholamines.
c. Autonomic instability.
d. Irritating the gastric mucosa.
3. Anticipatory nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy occurs:
a. Within the first 24 hours after chemotherapy.
b. 1-5 days after chemotherapy.
c. Before chemotherapy administration.
d. While chemotherapy is being administered.
4. The patient with hepatic encephalopathy is treated with:
b. beta blockers
c. calcium gluconate
5. A patient with pyelonephritis complains of urgency and burning on urination, fever, chills, and flank pain. The test that can confirm this diagnosis is:
a. blood chemistry
b. blood glucose
d. urine sodium
6. Which of the following types of drugs might be given to control increased intracranial pressure (ICP)?
b. carbonic anhydrase inhibitors
d. histamine receptor blockers
7. Gilda Hizon complains that her headaches are occurring more frequently despite taking medications. Patients with a history of headache should be taught to avoid:
a. freshly prepared meats
b. citrus fruits
c. skim milk
8. Aggressive chest physiotherapy is instituted but isn’t successful in removing Mrs. Keith’s secretions. Which type of drug would the nurse expect the doctor to prescribe following physiotherapy?
9. Jane Lopez, age 43, has a persistent cough from a cold. His doctor prescribes guaifenisin every 4 hours. How soon after taking the first dose of guaifenesin should Mrs. Lopez experience relief from coughing?
a. Within 30 minutes
b. In 45 to 60 minutes
c. In 1 ½ to 2 hours
d. In 2 ½ to 3 hours
10. Mr. Perk’s wife is concerned about his poor appetite and weight loss. The nurse explains to her that radiation treatment, anxiety, and the disease itself can cause anorexia in cancer patients. The nurse should encourage Mr. Perk to:
a. limit his activities before and after meals
b. force fluids
c. eat high-calorie foods
d. eat hot meat dishes with special sauces
11. Jayson Fernandez, a 70 years old smoker with advanced
coronary artery disease
, is scheduled for surgical revascularization of the coronary arteries to bypass plaque obstructions. Which of Jayson’s medications should be stopped before surgery?
a. Furosemide (Lasix)
b. Isosorbide dinitrate (Isordil)
d. Heparin sodium (Liquaemin)
12. Faith Dela Rosa, 22 years old has a history of ulcerative colitis. Although her condition had been stable for the past year, she now presents to the hospital with an
of the disease. When planning dietary teaching for Ms. Dela Rosa, the nurse should recommend that she consume:
a. high-protein foods, such as eggs, meat and cheese
b. whole milk and other dairy products
raw fruits and vegetables
d. products containing caffeine
13. Peter Del Carmen is admitted to the hospital in vaso-occlusive
sickle cell crisis
. He complains of chest pain, shortness of breath, severe myalgia and arthralgia. During vaso-occlusive crisis, the nurse should encourage Mr. Del Carmen to:
a. change his position frequently
b. restrict his fluid intake
c. decrease his protein intake
d. drink 5L of fluid each day
14. Mr. Paras has severe granulocytopenia. The nurse should teach him to:
a. avoid raw fruits and vegetables
b. take Vitamin C top ward off the common cold
c. observe for polydipsia and polyuria
d. restrict sodium diet
15. Drake is a member of the
Nursing Research Council
of the hospital. His first assignment is to determine the level of patient satisfaction on the care they received from the hospital. He plans to include all adult patients admitted from January to February, with average length of stay of 4-5 days, first admission, and with no complications. Which of the following is an
of the study?
a. Date of admission
Length of stay
c. Age of patients
d. Absence of complications
16. Drake thinks of an appropriate theoretical framework. Whose theory addresses the four modes of adaptation?
a. Martha Rogers
b. Sister Callista Roy
d. Jean Watson
17. Which of the following articles would Drake least considers for his review of literature?
a. “Story-Telling and Anxiety Reduction Among Pediatric Patients”
b. “Turnaround Time in Emergency Rooms”
c. “Outcome Standards in
Tertiary Health Care
d. “Environmental Manipulation and Client Outcomes”
18. He plans to use a
a. degree of agreement and disagreement
b. compliance to expected standards
c. level of satisfaction
d. degree of accpetance
19. He opts to use a self-report method. Which of the following is NOT TRUE about this method?
a. Most direct means of gathering information
b. Versatile in terms of content coverage
c. Most accurate and valid method of data gathering
d. Yields information that would be difficult to gather by another method
20. Which of the following variables will he likely EXCLUDE in his study?
a. competence of nurses
b. caring attitude of nurses
c. salary of nurses
d. responsiveness of staff
21. He checks if his instruments meet the criteria for evaluation. Which of the following criteria refers to the consistency or the ability to yield the same response upon its repeated administration?
22. He plans for his sampling method. Which sampling method gives equal chance to all units in the population to get picked?
23. Which of the following terms refer to the degree to which an instrument measures what it is supposed to be measure?
24. Kiko is interested to learn more about
because he is assigned at the family suites where most patients come from different cultures and countries. Which of the following designs is appropriate for this study?
c. Case study
transcultural nursing theory
a. Dorothea Orem
c. Betty Newman
Sister Callista Roy
The Nurse Advocate
Nursing Board Exam Review Questions on Pharmacology
Nursing Research and Nutrition
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)